Gun Violence Prevention
The Diocese of Missouri is committed to doing all we can to end the pandemic of gun violence. We do this through advocacy, prayer, public witness, and pastoral care.
The Rev. Mary Haggerty is our Missioner for Gun Violence Prevention. She leads a team who serves as the Gun Violence Prevention Advisory Committee, whose work centers on promoting gun safety, legislative advocacy, and education.
Gun Violence Prevention Advisory Committee Members:
- Donna Bernart - St. Francis Episcopal Church, Eureka
- Betty Bowersox - Grace Episcopal Church, Kirkwood
- Sally Boyd - St. Barnabas, Florissant
- Lore Gross - Christ Church Cathedral, St. Louis
- Colleen Haggerty - Grace Episcopal Church, Kirkwood
- Machelle West - The Episcopal Church of All Saints and Ascension, Northwoods
- Jeff Wunrow - Trinity Episcopal Church, St. Louis
Be SMART: Step Four - Recognize the Role of Guns in Suicide
Our Be SMART campaign for gun violence prevention continues as we face difficult facts and figures when it comes to guns and suicide.
Be SMART: Step Three - Ask about unsecured guns in other homes
When our children visit other homes, we often ask about allergens, pets, or car seats for rides - things to keep our kids safe. We need to normalize asking about unsecured guns.