Church Architecture and Allied Arts
The Commission on Church Architecture and Allied Arts – AAA for short – has been revitalized to support churches across the diocese.
As stated in our Canon III.15, the Commission provides “counsel on all questions of Architecture” and must review and approve, on behalf of the Diocese, any plans for substantial renovation or new construction as submitted by a Parish or Mission. The Commission is a resource that should be engaged as early as possible when any building improvements are being considered. (Read more about the duties of the Commission on page 26 of our Constitution and Canons.)
In addition to Bishop Deon Johnson, the Commission includes the following appointed members:
- The Rev. Canon Doris Westfall, Canon to the Ordinary
- The Rev. Betty Bowen, Deacon at Trinity, St. Charles
- The Rev. Rebecca Ragland, Rector at St. Paul’s, Carondelet
- Clark Davis, FAIA, Architect and Consultant, Commission Chair
- Mary Drastal, Professional Artist
- Rick Kuhn, Kuhn Construction Co., Inc.
- Sue Rehkopf, Diocesan Archivist and Registrar
Recent work includes review of an ongoing inventory of all diocesan properties, led by Rick Kuhn; consultation by Mary Drastal concerning possible art installations; and approval of worship space renovations at Trinity/St. Charles.To reach the Commission with a question or idea for property improvements, please send an email to [email protected].