The Disciplinary Board consists of seven people: 4 clergy and 3 lay members. Each serves a three-year term. (Having an extra clergy person is mandated in the Canons of The Episcopal Church).
The Disciplinary Board exists to help in cases where clergy have been presented with charges under the Ecclesiastical Disciplinary Canons (Title IV) of the Canons of The Episcopal Church.
The board meets at least once a year soon after Diocesan Convention to elect a President of the Board and to be trained about their role.
If a presentment arises during the course of the year, the President and the Bishop review the work of the Intake Officer to determine if a further investigation is warranted. Depending upon the outcome of the investigation, the board may be divided into two groups: one that would seek conciliation and the other to serve as a trial court, should a case go that far.
In most years, the board will not meet more often than the one time to elect the president. Obviously, if the board gets called into action, the work will be intense.
Disciplinary Board Members
- The Rev. Dr. Maria Evans - Christ Episcopal Church, Rolla (2021)
- The Rev. Dayna Jewson - retired deacon (2022)
- Tom Smith - Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Webster Groves (2022)
- The Rev. Peter Speropulos - The Episcopal Church of St. Michael & St. George, Clayton (2023)
- Carol Brown - St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Carondelet / St. Louis (2023)
- Patricia Marsh O'Brien - Grace Episcopal Church, Kirkwood (2023)
- The Rev. Earl Mahan, Intake Officer - St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Manchester & Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Town & Country
- The Rev. Sally Weaver, Intake Officer - Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Webster Groves
- The Rev. Canon Doris Westfall - Bishop's Canon to the Ordinary