Get to Know: Christ Episcopal Church, Rolla
Christ Episcopal Church has an eye for tradition, an ear for music, and a heart for community service. This sprawling campus is located in downtown Rolla, next door to Missouri University of Science and Technology.
From the outside, you can see how the church has grown over the years. The parish was founded in 1882 as a small frame church on the corner of the lot. The energetic and resourceful congregation added a parish hall in 1925. In 1950 an enlarged brick church was built, with a bell tower and rector's office. Another addition began in 2002 and was completed in time for Easter services in 2004. This project converted the "old church" into a parish hall with a modern kitchen and added a beautiful new sanctuary which doubled the church's seating capacity. The facility now reaches from one end of the block to the other.
From the inside, you will see a church buzzing with friendship and activity. Following their worship service each Sunday, volunteer teams get to work preparing and serving a free hot lunch to their community. The sit-down meal has transformed into to-go service during the pandemic, but the "Open Door Ministry" has continued to feed up to 60 people each week. You'll see a line forming outside the front doors every Sunday morning.
The parish also collects personal necessities, like toothbrushes, underwear, socks, and T-shirts to offer through its "Back Door Ministry." As its name suggests, volunteers distribute these items to those in need at the back door of its facilities.
Along with its strong call to serving those living on the margins, Christ Church's members are involved in many other ministries:
- Christ Church's ECW group (Episcopal Church Women) is happily returning to in-person activities again. This group includes women from throughout the Rolla community from all walks of life and faith traditions.
- You'll find many community leaders as long-time members, but they pride themselves on keeping divisive political discussions out in order to remain an open and inclusive church.
- The parish has a large choir that fills the halls of the church with beautiful, joyful noise.
- Although campus ministry connections have slowed during the pandemic, Christ Church is joining with Rolla's ELCA and Presbyterian churches through the newly formed Common Call Campus Ministry. Christ Church is offering its facilities for meetings and activities for Missouri S&T students on Thursday evenings.
The Rolla parish welcomed a new rector, the Rev. Dr. Mary Korte, in the fall of 2021.
Church name: Christ Episcopal Church
Address: 1000 Main Street
Email: [email protected]
- Sundays at 8 a.m. (in-person)
- Sundays at 10 a.m. (in-person & livestreamed on Facebook)
- The Rev. Dr. Mary Korte, Rector
- The Rev. Schelly Reid-Levy, Deacon
Mission: Our mission is to be a welcoming, inclusive group of Jesus followers in the Rolla area community.
Average Sunday Attendance: 80