Bishop Transition Update: March 4
We have a selection of updates on the transition from Bishop Wayne Smith to our 11th bishop, Deon Johnson, reported as concisely as we can.
- Bishop Wayne celebration. Registration is open for the celebration of Bishop Wayne’s ministry, a liturgy and luncheon, at 11 a.m. on March 28. Please visit this site to register. An important note: Attendees at all transition events must be registered and have a ticket. The events include the celebration, Bishop-elect Deon’s ordination on April 25 and his seating at Christ Church Cathedral on April 26.
- Ordination and seating. Bishops, clergy and other liturgical participants can register for the April 25 ordination. Registration for the April 26 seating is open only to cathedral members until March 12. Parishes will be allocated seats for the ordination. Each parish will be responsible for selecting people to fill those allocated seats and have those individuals registered. We expect to open registration to members of the diocese by March 25.
- Clergy registration for Friday events. Clergy of the diocese received their invitation to the ordination, which included a link to RSVP for the clergy meeting with Presiding Bishop Curry on April 24. Clergy members should click here to download a schedule of events and should click here to RSVP.
- Watch parties. The ordination and seating will be livestreamed online. Anyone with an internet connection will be able to find it from the diocesan homepage. So far, three parishes have agreed to host watch parties so members can gather to watch the services in community: Christ Church Cathedral, St. Timothy’s Creve Coeur and Christ Church, Cape Girardeau. Watch for more information. If your parish is available to host a watch party, contact email@example.com.
- Water rite for ordination. Bishop-elect Deon wishes to include a water rite in his ordination service. The rite would celebrate the coming together of members and parishes in the diocese. Each parish is asked to send a sample of water in a sealed container to the clergy conference March 17–19. If that doesn’t work, please send a container to the ordination rehearsal April 24. Water will be sterilized before use.
- Additional information. Remember that we’re updating the diocesan website’s transition page with information as soon as it's available.