People of the Nativity
St. Paul's Episcopal church in St. Louis invites you to participate in a short but meaningful writing project. It's called People of the Nativity. The concept is that you would adopt the mind of one of the characters in the nativity story and write a short reflection based on their perspective.
Here are the people:
(Those already assigned have a name after them)
- Shepherd (Luke 2:8-20)
- Angel Gabriel (Luke 1:11f, Luke 1:26f)
- Wise man/Magi (Matthew 2:1-12) - George Sympson
- Herod (Matthew 2:1 - 19) - Richard Byrne
- Inn Keeper (Luke 2:7) - Derek O'Chiu
- Elizabeth (Luke 1)
- Zachariah (Luke 1)
- Joseph (Luke 2; Matthew 1:18-2:23) Rebecca Ragland
- Mary (Luke 1:26 - 2:35, Matthew 1:18-2:23) Rebecca Ragland
- Mary's parent Protoevangelum Jacobi (this is a text from the non-canonical apocrypha - use it as you wish - you can just use your imagination too!) -
- Mary's neighbor (imagine your most annoying neighbor and insert into this context) Carol Brown
- Joseph's brother (imagination required)
- Mary and Joseph's Rabbi (imagination required)
- Simeon (Luke 2:22-38) - Celenda (Cindy) Stanford
- Anna (Luke 2:22-38) - Barbi Click
- Other...cow, donkey, angel - you decide
Write a reflection that gives a sense of the feelings, hopes, and context of the character you select. It can be as short as one page, double-spaced, 12-point font, or as long as two pages double-spaced, 12-point font. We'll compile the narratives in a service of reflection, meditating on the experiences of these people of the Nativity.
Please contact the Rev. Rebecca Ragland if you would like to participate. The plan is for the service to occur on Sunday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. There would be plenty of candles and a cello player who would play Christmas hymns in between readings.
Do I have to attend the service to contribute?
No. We will credit you as writer. Perhaps we will create a published service using your writing. We’ll keep you informed!
Will I have to read my own writing at the service?
No. Someone else will read your piece.
Does it have to be typed?
Preferably, but not necessarily.
When it is due?
We need to know your selection by Nov. 10
You need to have it completely written by Nov. 30 Email it to PastorRagland@gmail.com.