A Closer Look at the Bishop Search Committee
Our Bishop Search Committee is made up of 16 lay and ordained members representing all factions of our diocese: men and women, young and old, black and white, urban and rural, longtime and new members. And chairperson Debbie Nelson-Linck says everyone should be excited about the work the group is achieving.
“All those voices are important,” Debbie said. “I feel like at the end of this, everyone has had a say.”
Among its many duties since its formation nearly a year ago, the search committee has traveled around the diocese collecting information from members, compiled a diocesan profile for prospective applicants, conducted applicant interviews, and attended regular discernment meetings. Debbie says the committee has practiced civility, built trust, and remembered to find God in the middle of all they do.
The committee is now preparing to host a retreat Sept. 16 - 19 with the top applicants from the search process. This is a chance for the search committee to meet face-to-face with the applicants. They’ll have time for in-depth conversations, shared meals and social time together. The applicants will each lead daily worship services for the group. The event is designed to give the search committee a real feel for what each applicant is all about.
At the end of the retreat, the committee will discern a slate of nominees to present to the Diocesan Standing Committee on Sept. 26. The Standing Committee will make the slate public soon after that date.
Although we are all anxious to hear details about the number applicants attending the retreat, the search committee is not revealing much. “The number is not important,” Debbie says. “What is important is how excited we are about all the people who are coming!”
We are excited for the future of our diocese. And we are very grateful to all those serving on the Bishop Search Committee:
- Mrs. Deborah Nelson-Linck, Christ Church Cathedral, St. Louis
- Ms. Ilena Albarron, Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion, University City
- Ms. Elizabeth Kroes-Asher, Episcopal Church of the Advent, Crestwood
- Mr. Richard Entenmann, Grace Episcopal Church, Kirkwood
- Mr. Matthew Jackson, All Saints Episcopal Church, Farmington
- Mr. Rudy Nickens, Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion, University City
- Ms. Bren O’Connor, Christ Church Cathedral, St. Louis
- Mr. William Sheldon, St. Thomas Deaf Episcopal Church
- Ms. Annette Webb, Calvary Episcopal Church, Columbia
- Dr. Carter Whitson, Trinity Episcopal Church, CWE, St. Louis
- The Rev. Chester Hines, Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion, University City
- The Rev. Luke Jernagan, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, Ladue
- The Rev. Harry Leip, Trinity Episcopal Church, CWE, St. Louis
- The Very Rev. Kathie Adams-Shepherd, Christ Church Cathedral, St. Louis
- The Rev. Sally Weaver, Trinity Episcopal Church, St. James, St. Martin’s Episcopal
- Church, Ellisville
- The Rev. Tamsen Whistler, Trinity Episcopal Church, St. Charles