Are you called to participate in the search for the next Bishop of Missouri?
- Apply online by Sept. 22 to become a member of the
Search and Nominating Committee for the 11th Bishop of Missouri
The Standing Committee is looking for people from across the constituencies of this diocese, lay and ordained, to be members of the Search and Nominating Committee for our next bishop. Lay members should be communicants in good standing at a parish in the Diocese of Missouri. Clergy members should be canonically resident in the Diocese of Missouri.
The role of the Search and Nominating Committee is to prayerfully develop a profile of the diocese, and to search for and nominate those persons best suited to be put forth as candidates for the position of Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri.
Search and Nomination Committee members should be possessed of a discerning heart and spirit and be willing to help the committee reach consensus, always keeping in mind accountability to the Holy Spirit and the people of the diocese.
We look for people:
- with the ability to discern in others a call to ministry
- with a good sense of humor
- with a strong work ethic and sense of commitment, and a willingness to commit several hours a week for at least the next nine months
- who are active members of their parish, with some knowledge of the wider Church
- with a rich prayer life. Committee members should engage in prayer on a regular basis: individually and corporately, seeking God's guidance in the work of this committee on behalf of the diocese, during this time of transition.
- with the ability and willingness to work cooperatively with a diverse group of people and who are willing to listen to the opinions of others with an open mind
Membership on this committee will entail a significant amount of work. Members need to be task oriented, and willing and able to follow up on assignments. Good organization and technology skills are important.
If you prayerfully discern a call to this ministry, if you have energy and enthusiasm about this work of selecting candidates for the Eleventh Bishop of Missouri, the Standing Committee hopes you will fill out an online application for membership in the Search and Nominating Committee.
Shug Goodlow, President
Standing Committee of the Diocese of Missouri
- September 22 - Applications due for Search/Nominating Committee
- September 27 - SC begins application review to discern committee
- Mid-late October - S/N Committee retreat with the Rev. Gary Butterworth, search transition consultant. The Standing Committee will join the beginning of the retreat to commission the S/N Committee members
- October 2018-March 2019 - Self-Study; Holy Conversations; Surveys
- March 2019 - Diocesan Profile published
- Sept 9-13, 2019 - Retreat
- Sept 16-20, 2019 - Slate of Nominees for Bishop published
- Petition process begins
- Nov 4-8, 2019 - Walkabouts
- Nov 22, 2019 - Election (during diocesan convention)
- April 25, 2020 - Consecration (God willing) of the Eleventh Bishop of Missouri