Missioner for Racial Reconciliation and Justice
The Rev. Shug Goodlow is the Missioner for Reconciliation and Justice.
God’s call to reconciliation and justice is seen most profoundly in the ministry of Jesus Christ. Jesus sought to bridge divisions that fracture the Body of Christ. By engaging intentionally in the work of racial reconciliation, we continue the work of seeking to love God, neighbor, and self.
Racial Reconciliation and Justice is a social justice and equity ministry of advocacy and service toward reconciling all people to God and one another. This is a ministry to promote and publicize the work of racial reconciliation and to offer opportunities for individuals and communities of faith to engage in the necessary work of acknowledging, naming, engaging, and dismantling systems of oppression born of chattel slavery within the Diocese of Missouri.
The Missioner will serve as a part of the newly constituted Leadership Team of the Dismantling Racism Commission.
The Missioner’s responsibilities shall include:
- Working consultation with the Dismantling Racism Commission of the Diocese.
- Provide resources to communities of faith within the Diocese around direct actions to promote racial reconciliation and justice.
- Establish a clearinghouse of resources that can be used by individuals and communities that within the Diocese.
- Offer a theological understanding of racial justice and healing that recognizes the image of God in every human being.
- Represent the Bishop and/or Diocese at events that promote racial reconciliation and healing.
- Preach and teach in communities of faith that make up the Diocese.
- Submit an annual report to the Diocesan Convention.
- Offer presentations to Diocesan Council, which highlight the ongoing work of racial reconciliation within the Diocese.
As people living our baptismal covenant, we see our diocese reconciled to God by challenging racism in ourselves and society. The Commission for Dismantling Racism is made up of lay and clergy members and friends of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri committed to the work of social justice.Read More »
The Dismantling Racism Commission maintains a library of resources on dismantling racism: books, videos, DVDs, and children's books. This library is available to everyone in the diocese.Read More »
The Episcopal Diocese of Missouri is proud to announce the formation of The Rev. Emery Washington Midwest Chapter of The Union of Black Episcopalians.Read More »