Heeding their bishop's call for a "church hospital," a group of Episcopal physicians and church members opened St. Luke's Infirmary in 1865. Offering a ministry to the sick and a free dispensary to the poor, the infirmary soon grew into a hospital, outgrowing not one, but three locations before relocating in 1903 to a site on Delmar in the heart of St. Louis. St. Luke's became a large hospital at the time of the 1904 World's Fair.
In 1948 the Presbyterians in St. Louis joined in the sponsorship and expansion began, and included a new nursing education facility. The hospital remained on that east site before expanding to the west in Chesterfield in 1975. The East Hospital was put up for sale in 1984 and eventually sold.
Today, St. Luke's Hospital in Chesterfield, Missouri serves the greater St. Louis area as a premier regional healthcare provider. The 493-bed, not-for-profit hospital offers cardiovascular care, cancer care, neurosurgery and neurology, maternity services, women's health, general medicine, outpatient services, pediatrics, and comprehensive surgical services. Faithful to its Episcopal-Presbyterian heritage and its ministry of healing, St. Luke's is dedicated to improving the health of the community.
St. Luke's Pastoral Care department:
The Rev. Renita Heinzl (Presbyterian), Director: Renita.Heinzl@stlukes-stl.com
The Rev. Mari Chollet (Episcopal), Associate Director: Mari.Chollet@stlukes-stl.com
Paula Parcher, Administrative Assistant: Paula.Parcher@stlukes-stl.com
Office number (314) 542-4748.