Children and Youth Ministries
I’m so glad you’ve landed on this page. My name is Erin Pickersgill and I am the Ministry Developer for Children and Youth for the Diocese of Missouri.
I am here to help YOU connect with other children and youth ministers, to be resourced, to give your resources away, to share ideas, and to encourage and help you through the Safe Church, Safe Communities training.
I want you to always have current information for future events, trips, and projects. My hope is that this webpage will be a place you can rely on for up to date registration forms for events, news, and helpful contacts.
If you ever have any questions, concerns, or ideas when it comes to your work with children and youth, I would love to hear from you! Together let’s get excited and curious about what the Spirit is saying about and to the young people in our diocese.
Keep scrolling this page for resources, news, and special events!
Special Youth Events
The official summer camp of the Diocese of Missouri is back in 2024!
Youth in the LGBTQIA+ Community are invited for virtual and in-person gatherings.
Click on the +headlines below to get more information about each topic:
Ideas + Resources for Lent and Easter
- Webpage: Jelly Beans Prayer, by Traci Smith: https://tracismith.com/jellybean/?utm_source=subst...
- Book: Faithful Families for Lent, Easter, and Resurrection, Traci Smith
- All Age Ideas for Easter, Webpage: The Billabong - https://thebillabong.info/lectionary/ideas-for-lent-and-easter/all-ages-together-in-lent/
- Webpage for All Age Worship Ideas, Engage Worship: https://engageworship.org/ideas/lent-prayer
- Stations of the Cross (available to buy), Illustrated Ministry; https://store.illustratedministry.com/products/stations-of-the-cross-interactive-reflection-booklet?ck_subscriber_id=1846704389
- Redeeming Resurrection Eggs Resource, Traci Smith Webpage: https://tracismith.com/eggs/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email
- Podcast, I Kid You Not, “How to talk to your kids about Good Friday”; https://thebiblebinge.com/goodfriday/
- “I Kid You Not” Podcast and Newsletter - https://thebiblebinge.com/show/ikyn/
Books for Ministers
- Imaginative Prayer: A Yearlong Guide for Your Child's Spiritual Formation , Jared Boyd
- Faithful Families: Creating Sacred Moments at Home, by Traci Smith
- Faithful Families for Advent and Christmas: 100 Ways to Make the Season Sacred; by Traci Smith
- Prayers for Faithful Families: Everyday Prayers for Everyday Life, by Traci Smith
- Little Prayers for Ordinary Days, Tish Harrison Warren, Katy Bowser Hutson, et al
Books for Children and Youth
- Pauli Murray; Shouting for the Rights of All People, by Debbie Nelson Linck - a book written by a member of a parish in the Diocese of Missouri, a resource aimed to connect with 3rd - 5th graders. Watch this space for Pauli Murray Sunday School kits for her feast day in July!
- We Gather At This Table, by Anna V. Ostenso
- Let Us Pray: A Little Kid’s Guide To The Eucharist, by Jennie Turrell
- Baptized in the Water: Becoming a member of God's family, by Glenys Nellist
- What is God like?, by Rachel Held Evans and Matthew Paul Turner
- Antiracist Baby Picture Book, Ibram X. Kendi
- Stark Story Bible, by Patti Thisted Arthur
- When God Made You, by Matthew Paul Turner
- When God Made Light, by Matthew Paul Turner
- Hello Neighbor! The Kind and Caring World of Mister Rogers, by Matthew Cordell
Curriculums / All Age Worship Resources + Ideas / Newsletters / Helpful Websites
Click on the blue links for more about these resources:
- Build Faith - Printables for Baptism Covenant Webpage
- Building Faith - Christian Education ministry + curriculum resources out of Virginia Theological Seminary
- Dance Praise Songs - High Energy Action Songs / Choreography Playlist by Chris and Ruth Lee
- Disability Resources - Making faith accessible - blog by Summer Kinard
- Visual Schedule for Holy Eucharist, Rite Two
- Doing Good Together - unique and uncomplicated ways to help children serve their communities
- Engage Worship - resourcing the local church for creative, sustainable and world-changing worship
- Faith Tips with Marty Chapman - an encouraging video resource from St. Michael St. George in the Diocese of Missouri
- Godly Play - Video presentations of Godly Play lessons
- Illustrated Ministry - Sunday School curriculums, coloring sheets, and more
- Intergenerational Curriculum - Building Faith's top picks for intergenerational curriculum (2023)
- Journey to Adulthood - the Episcopal faith formation tool for middle to high schoolers
- Ministry Dispatch - a UK -based resource page for ideas, curriculums, and events for children and youth
- Roots - an intergenerational/All-Age Worship resources from the UK
- Rows of Sharon - Blog about Christian Education + Resources
- Treasure Box Tuesday - a weekly newsletter subscription -
- Weaving God's Promises: a digital three-year formation curriculum for children ages 3 to 11 and youth ages 12 to 14.
- Worship for Everyone - Modern All Age Worship Songs
- The Worship Resource Blog - Scripture readings and prayers for worship planners and leaders
If you have a resource you'd like to share, please contact the Rev. Erin Pickersgill.
Social Media Accounts
- @Meredithannmiller, Instagram
- @Wildcitymum, Instagram. Great ideas for outside play with preschoolers
- @kutsucompanions, Instagram. Spiritual Direction and prayer with children, resources, ideas.
- @creatingtoloveshop, Instagram
- @worshipforeveryone, Instagram
- Unfundamentalist/Progressive Children’s Ministry, Facebook Group
- Progressive Children’s and Youth Ministries, Facebook Group
- Raising Children UnFundamentalist, Facebook Group
- Forma: The Network for Christian Formation, Facebook Group
- Progressive Youth Ministry, Facebook Group
After taking a year off to pray, imagine, and plan, the official summer camp of The Diocese of Missouri is preparing to return in 2024.Read More »
Youth in grades 6-12 in the LGBTQIA+ community are invited to be a part of a new youth group led by the Rev. Erin Pickersgill, our Diocesan Ministry Developer for Children and Youth.Read More »