Diocesan Convention 2021: Call for Nominations and Resolutions
The 182nd meeting of the Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri will be held November 18-20.
NOW is the time to collect nominations for elected diocesan offices and to submit resolutions to be considered at Convention.
The deadline to submit nominations and resolutions is September 30, 2021 @ 5 p.m.
We encourage lay and clergy members from all areas of our diocese to participate in diocesan committees. Here are the positions we will be electing at this year's Convention:
- Standing Committee: 1 clergy and 2 lay members for 4-year terms
Standing Committee is a council of advice to the Bishop and acts as the ecclesiastical authority in the event that the office of bishop is vacant or the bishop is incapacitated. Learn more about Standing Committee.
- Diocesan Council: 2 lay members for 3-year terms
The Diocesan Council does the work of the Diocesan Convention when Convention is not in session, including development of the program budget; oversight of the programs and offices funded by the budget; and oversight and interpretation of diocesan policies. Members of this committee also serve as members of COEDMO, the Corporation of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri. Learn more about Diocesan Council.
- Disciplinary Board: 1 clergy member for 3-year term
The Disciplinary Board exists to help in cases where clergy have been presented with charges under the Ecclesiastical Disciplinary Canons (Title IV) of the Canons of The Episcopal Church. Learn more about the Disciplinary Board.
- Cathedral Chapter: 1 clergy member from St. Louis City or County for 3-year term
and 1 lay member from outside St. Louis City or County for 3-year term
Cathedral Chapter is similar to the Vestry of a parish, but because the Cathedral is the Bishop's seat and the "mother church" for the diocese, its leadership is made up of clergy and lay members from throughout the diocese as well as its own congregation.
If you would like to nominate yourself or someone you know to any of these positions, please download, complete, and return the attached form, along with a head-and-shoulders picture, and a short paragraph (no more than 300 words) explaining why you (or the person you're nominating) would be a good candidate for this ministry.
Email your nominations to the Nominations Committee:
Or mail your nominations to:
The Rev. Todd McDowell,
Chair of the Committee on Nominations and Election Procedures
Offices of the Bishop
1210 Locust St.
St. Louis, Missouri 63103
All nominations must be received by September 30, 2021 at 5 p.m.
For more information about nominations, contact the Rev. Todd McDowell, Chair of the 2021 Nominations Committee.
According to the Canons of the Diocese of Missouri, all proposed resolutions for consideration at the Diocesan Convention must be submitted for consideration no later than 50 days prior to the opening of that convention. That due date is 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 30, 2021.
There are three types of resolutions:
1. Amendments to the Constitution must be voted on in two consecutive diocesan conventions. Amendments to the Canons are only required to be voted on in one convention. Please submit your amendments to (please send copies to both):
The Hon. Jean Hamilton, Committee on Constitution and Canons Chair
Hal Burroughs, Chancellor
2. Regular Resolutions must be sent to the Resolutions Committee for review. These resolutions typically only apply to the year immediately following Diocesan Convention.
3. Courtesy resolutions are ceremonial resolutions showing appreciation for individuals and organizations, or for commemorating things such as the anniversaries of the founding of parishes. These can be submitted to the Chair of the Resolutions Committee as noted in item 2, above.
Download information about submitting resolutions:
Email is the preferred method for submission. Please send your resolutions to:
Dr. Michael Booker, Resolutions Committee Chair
If email is not available, you can mail submissions to:
Resolutions to the 182nd Convention
Episcopal Diocese of Missouri
1210 Locust St.
St. Louis, MO 63103
For more information about resolutions, contact Michael Booker, chair of the 2021 Resolutions Committee.