Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month
by the Rev. Dr. Valori Mulvey Sherer,
Diocesan Missioner for Hispanic/Latinx Ministry Engagement
National Hispanic Heritage Month is September 15 through October 15. The theme this year is "Unidos: Inclusivity for a Stronger Nation." We encourage everyone in the Diocese of Missouri and beyond to celebrate.
Watch Valori's video (resources are listed below the video):
Here are five simple things your church can do:
- Host a Hispanic heritage lunch or dinner at your parish.
Download menu suggestions
- Gather the parish for some salsa dancing.
Watch this video for instructions:
- Learn about important Fiestas or Feast Days in Latinx cultures.
Dia de los Muertos
Connections to Halloween
- Incorporate a little Spanish into your worship service.
Download liturgy translations for the Offertory Sentence, The Peace, and the Sign of the Cross
Download lyrics and music for Santo, Santo, Santo
Listen to sound files of the translations in Spanish:
Offertory sentence - Walk in love
Sign of the cross 3 ways
- Offer a newsletter series about Hispanic Saints, like Our Lady of Guadalupe, Juan Diego, Teresa of Avila, Teresa of the Andes or other prominent Hispanics in arts and culture like Pablo Picasso, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, Miguel de Cervantes, Pablo Neruda, Jose Carreras
For more information and ideas about planning celebrations for Hispanic Heritage Month, please contact the Rev. Dr. Valori Mulvey Sherer.