RESOLUTIONS APPROVED BY THE 168TH CONVENTION
of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Missouri
November, 2007, (from the published minutes in the annual Journal)
Resolution A-168 - Minimum Clergy Compensation - submitted on behalf of the Diocesan Council
1. BE IT RESOLVED that this 168th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri set the annual standard base compensation for full-time clergy in 2008 as follows:
CASH SALARY $37,100
HOUSING ALLOWANCE $13,365
[The actual compensation should be determined by Resolution of the Vestry/Bishop's Committee, in consultation with the clergy.]
2. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Church Pension Fund assessment will be paid by the congregation;
3. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that $50,000 group life will be paid by the congregation;
4. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that medical coverage for clergy and eligible dependents, will be paid by the congregation;
5. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that a standard of ten days per calendar year and $500 will be provided for continuing education;
6. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the standard auto allowance will be $2,000 per year; and
7. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that all parishes and missions encourage their full-time clergy to set aside two days each week for personal time.
Resolution B-168 - Call for a Moratorium for the Death Penalty in Missouri - submitted by Episcopal Peace Fellowship, Missouri Diocese Chapter
1. BE IT RESOLVED that this 168th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri calls on the governor and our state representatives and the President of the United States and our representatives in Congress to enact and adopt legislation imposing a moratorium on executions at least until this state and the nation implement policies and procedures which:
Insure that death penalty cases are administered fairly and impartially, in accordance with basic due process
Minimize the risk that innocent persons may be executed and
Prevent the execution of persons with mental retardation and persons who are under the age of eighteen at the time of their offense.
2. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that copies of this resolution shall be forwarded to the governor and our state representatives and the President of the United States and our representatives in Congress.
Resolution C-168 - Convocation System - submitted by Metro III Convocation
1. BE IT RESOLVED that this 168th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri request the Diocesan Council to conduct a comprehensive review of the current goals and structure of the convocation system and make recommendations to better enhance the goals of communication and information sharing, and to deepen a sense of Christian fellowship among clergy and laity both in the convocations and in the diocese;
2. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the various convocations be requested to participate in this review;
3. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that Diocesan Council be requested to consider what human and fiscal resources might be necessary to enable the convocations to best fulfill their assigned functions; and,
4. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Diocesan Council be requested to report to the 169th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri the results of its review and recommendations regarding these matters.
Resolution D-168 - Disabilities - submitted by the Vestry of St. Mark's/Metro III
1. BE IT RESOLVED that this 168th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri affirm Resolution C-030 of General Convention 2000
Resolved, that the 73rd General Convention adopt the "National Council of Churches Policy Statement on Disabilities, the Body of Christ, and the Wholeness of Society"; and be it further Resolved, That every diocese study this document and implement its points in their life.
and encourage a diocesan-wide study of the NCC Policy Statement "Disabilities, the Body of Christ and the Wholeness of Society";
2. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this convention encourages a renewed awareness of the need for full inclusion of people with disabilities;
3. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this convention requests every congregation to study the issue of the full inclusion of people with disabilities, and
4. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that diocesan services be held in settings which allow for independent participation by people with visual, hearing and physical disabilities and that diocesan committees should meet in settings which accommodate the needs of disabled committee members.
Resolution G-168 - Episcopal Campus Ministries: Representation at Convention - submitted by the Rev. Andrew Benko (first reading)
Sec. 13. Each campus ministry of this Diocese with a full-time chaplain and each other campus ministry of the Diocese recognized by the Bishop and Standing Committee shall be entitled to be represented in Convention by one representative who shall have seat, voice and vote in Convention. Each such representative shall be appointed on an annual basis by the Bishop after consultation with the Bishop's clergy presence in that community of faith.
Resolution H-168 - Amendment to Article III.1 of the Constitution regarding designation of Convention time and place - submitted by the Committee on the Dispatch of Business (first reading)
RESOLVED that Article IV.1 of the Constitution of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Missouri be amended in its entirety to read as follows:
Article III.1 Annual Meeting of Convention
The Convention of the Church in this Diocese shall assemble annually. The 169th annual meeting of Convention shall designate the time and place for the 170th and 171st annual meetings of Convention. The 170th annual meeting of Convention and each annual meeting of Convention thereafter shall designate the time and place for the second succeeding annual meeting of Convention. The Ecclesiastical Authority of the Diocese may, however, change the time or place, or both, upon at least ten days' notice to the Senior Warden of every Parish, the Bishop's Warden of every Mission and every Clerical Member of Convention.