RESOLUTIONS APPROVED BY THE 167TH CONVENTION
of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Missouri
November, 2006, (from the published minutes in the annual Journal)
Resolution A-167 - Clergy Compensation - submitted on behalf of the Diocesan Council
1. BE IT RESOLVED that this 167th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri set the annual standard base compensation for full-time clergy in 2007 as follows: CASH SALARY $35,810 HOUSING ALLOWANCE $12,900. [The actual compensation should be determined by Resolution of the Vestry/Bishop's Committee, in consultation with the clergy.]
And be it further
2. RESOLVED, that the Church Pension Fund assessment will be paid by the congregation; and be it further
3. RESOLVED, that $50,000 group life will be paid by the congregation; and be it further
4. RESOLVED, that medical coverage for clergy and eligible dependents, will be paid by the congregation; and be it further
5. RESOLVED, that a standard of ten days per calendar year and $500 will be provided for continuing education; and be it further
6. RESOLVED, that the standard auto allowance will be $2,000 per year; and be it further
7. RESOLVED that all parishes and missions encourage their full-time clergy to set aside two days each week for personal time.
Resolution B-167 - Teaching of Intelligent Design - submitted by Margaret Hvatum, Church of the Holy Communion, University City - amended by the Rev. Dr. Jake Owensby, Emmanuel Church, Webster Groves
1. BE IT RESOLVED that this 167th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri strongly affirms our belief in the Creator God, but nevertheless also strongly recommends that "intelligent design" should not be mandated as an official part of the public school science curriculum in the state of Missouri. And be it further
2. RESOLVED that copies of this Resolution be forwarded to our Governor and our General Assembly.
Resolution C-167 - Youth Ministries Initiative - submitted by the Vestry of St. Barnabas' Church, Florissant - amended by Mr. Brad Van Zee, All Saints' Church, Farmington
1. BE IT RESOLVED that this 167th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri express its commitment to youth ministry; and be it further
2. RESOLVED that this 167th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri encourage the Diocesan Youth Commission and the Diocesan Council to work together to establish in the 2008 diocesan budget a "youth ministries initiative" line item of up to $100,000 and be it further
3. RESOLVED that the Diocesan Youth Commission or a special youth ministries initiative task force appointed for this purpose develop criteria for and to award grants from this line item to help congregations who meet the criteria to employ dynamic and dedicated youth ministers or otherwise facilitate youth ministries.
Resolution D-167 - Recovery Sunday - Submitted by Episcopal Recovery Ministries
BE IT RESOLVED that this 167th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri ask the congregations of the Diocese to observe the first Sunday in Lent each year (or the nearest Sunday that the congregation's calendar allows) as Recovery Sunday to recognize the prevalence of addiction and to support awareness and treatment, and continued recovery for addicts and their families.
Resolution E-167 - Amendments to the Diocesan Canons Concerning Diocesan Council Members - Submitted by the Diocesan Council and the Standing Committee
BE IT RESOLVED that this 167th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri amend the Canons of the Diocese of Missouri to wit:
A. Section 5 of Canon III.6 is hereby amended by adding a new sentence at the end of the first sentence thereof which shall read as follows: "The Bishop Coadjutor (if any) shall serve as a member of the Diocesan Council with seat, voice and vote."
B. Section 6 of Canon III.6 is hereby amended in its entirety to read as follows: "The voting members of Diocesan Council shall consist of elected and appointed members. The elected membership of Diocesan Council, for the period ending with the 168th annual meeting of Convention, shall consist of four (4) at-large Lay members elected by Convention and three (3) at-large Clergy members elected by Convention and one (1) Lay and one (1) Clergy member elected by each Convocation. Thereafter, the elected membership of Diocesan Council shall consist of three (3) at-large Lay members and three (3) at-large Clergy members, each elected by Convention, and one (1) Lay and one (1) Clergy member elected by each Convocation. The appointed members shall consist of one (1) Lay and one (1) Clergy member, subject to ratification by the elected members."
C. Section 7 of Canon III.6 is hereby amended in its entirety to read as follows: "Members of Diocesan Council elected by Convention shall serve a three-year term except as set forth in this Section. Three at-large Clergy members shall be elected by the 167th annual meeting of Convention, one of whom will serve a three-year term, one a two-year term and one a one-year term. Commencing with the 168th annual meeting of Convention, one Lay and one Clergy member of Diocesan Council shall be elected at each annual meeting of Convention; provided, however, that the 169th annual meeting of Convention shall elect an additional Lay member of Diocesan Council who shall serve a one-year term. In case of any vacancy, Diocesan Council shall appoint a successor of the same class to serve out the vacating member's unexpired term."
D. Section 11 of Canon III.6 is hereby amended by adding two new sentences at the end thereof which shall read as follows: "Each duly convened meeting of Diocesan Council at which a quorum is present shall be deemed to constitute a meeting of the Trustees of the Corporation of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri. Any action taken by Diocesan Council at such a meeting with respect to the property or assets of the Corporation of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri shall be deemed to be the action of the Trustees of the Corporation of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri."
E. Canon III.7 is hereby amended by deleting the name "The Program Budget" and substituting therefore "The Operating Budget."
F. Section 1 of Canon III.9 is hereby amended by deleting the first sentence thereof in its entirety and substituting therefore the following: "The members of the Diocesan Council, including the Bishop and the Bishop Coadjutor (if any), shall serve as the Trustees of the Corporation of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri ("COEDMO"), a Missouri non-profit corporation."
G. Section 6 of Canon IV.9 is hereby amended in its entirety to read as follows: "In granting any approval and consent required by this Canon, the Bishop and Standing Committee shall be deemed to have acted on behalf of the Trustees of the Corporation of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri, under authority delegated by the Diocesan Council."
Carolyn Daniels, Church of the Transfiguration, Lake St. Louis, moved to amend the Resolution by deleting items B and C (part 2 and part 3), and the motion was seconded. Ms. Daniels clarified the amendment by noting this would leave the makeup of Council as it is today and there would not be a 50% split among clergy and laity. Mr. Burroughs said this is a friendly amendment to which the Committee on Constitution and Canons would not object.
The amendment was approved by a majority vote. The discussion returned to the Resolution E-167 as amended. Dr. Tudor noted this is a major change the Diocese has had little time to discuss, and there are issues about which people are concerned. He moved to table the Resolution so it can be studied for a year and at next Convention the Committee could present a proposal. The vote was taken on the motion to table, and the motion failed for lack of the required two-thirds majority. After further discussion the question was called, and Resolution E-167 as amended was approved by a majority vote.
Resolution F-167 - Clarifying the Use of Making All Things New Monies - submitted by Mr. Mike Clark, member of Christ Church Cathedral, St. Louis - amended by the Rev. Beverly Van Horne, Priest in Charge, Trinity Church, De Soto and the Very Rev. Ron Clingenpeel, Dean, Christ Church Cathedral, St. Louis
1. BE IT RESOLVED that this 167th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri asks the Office of the Bishop to generate a report detailing the history of the origin and ‘intent of use' of the monies from the 2000 Diocesan Capital Campaign called "Making All Things New," to include the dates of dissolution of the task forces originally assigned to disburse these monies and the established criteria for disbursement, any recommendations made by these task forces for the future of these accounts, and a record of all actions made on these accounts from the completion of the that campaign to Nov. 11, 2006, to be distributed to the clergy, senior wardens and/or vestries and bishop's committees of each congregation of the Diocese no later than April 1, 2007; and be it further,
2. RESOLVED that this 167th Convention urge the Diocesan Council to adopt a grant application process for the disbursement of these monies.
Rationale: Mr. Clark explained intent of the Resolution which is to gather information about how the funds have been used and to have clarity in the future concerning disbursement of the funds, and to encourage the Diocesan Council to view the money to be used for grants
Further Report of the Committee on Constitution & Canons: Second Reading of Resolutions L-166, M-166, and N-166
Resolution L-166 - Representation at Diocesan Convention
BE IT RESOLVED that this 166th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri approve an amendment to Article III.3, Section 6 of the Constitution of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Missouri by deleting the first three sentences thereof and substituting therefore the following text:
Every canonically organized Mission of the Diocese and Parish in union with Convention of this Diocese shall be entitled to be represented in Convention by a minimum of two Lay Delegates. Each Parish and Mission shall be allowed one additional Lay Delegate for every seventy-five persons in Average Sunday Attendance at such Parish or Mission as reported on its annual Parochial Report for the immediately preceding calendar year. Such Parochial Report shall be prepared on the then current form provided by the Secretary of Convention and Average Sunday Attendance shall be calculated in the manner prescribed by such Parochial Report form.
Resolution M-166 - Correcting Amendment to Article III.3, Section 9
BE IT RESOLVED that this 166th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri approve an amendment to Article III.3, Section 9 of the Constitution of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Missouri which shall amend said Section 9 in its entirety to read as follows:
"Subject to the limitations set forth in Section 6 above, every Lay Delegate shall have seat, voice and vote in Convention."
Resolution N-166 - Payment of Assessments and Congregational Representations at Convention
BE IT RESOLVED that this 166th Convention of the Diocese of Missouri approve an amendment to Article III.3 of the Constitution of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Missouri to as follows:
1. Identify the first four two sentences of Section 6, as amended by Resolution L -166, as subsection "a".
2. Delete the remainder of Section 6 and substitute therefore the following two new subsections "b" and "c" as follows:
b. Subject to the limitations set forth below, every Lay Delegate shall have seat, voice, and vote in Convention. The Lay Delegates from a Congregation shall have no vote until the Secretary shall have been presented with satisfactory evidence as to the amount of assessments that the Lay Delegates' Congregation has paid during the preceding fiscal year for support of the Diocese and for the Church Pension Fund. In the event a Congregation shall not have paid the full amount of such assessments for the previous year, the number of Lay Delegates from such Congregation entitled to vote in Convention shall be reduced in direct proportion to the percentage deficiency in such Congregation's payment of its assessment obligations. The number of Lay Delegates with vote in Convention from such Congregation shall be rounded up to the nearest whole number, with a minimum of one Lay Delegate with vote in Convention for each Parish and canonically organized Mission.
c. Under extraordinary circumstances, the Diocesan Council may recommend to the Convention that all of the Lay Delegates of a Parish or canonically organized Mission have vote, without regard to the limitations set forth in subsection b. above. The Diocesan Council's recommendation shall be subject to approval by a simple majority vote of the Convention.
3. Delete Section 9 in its entirety and renumber Sections 10 through 13 as numbers 9 through 12.