The 182nd Convention of The Episcopal Diocese of Missouri is now history! For the second consecutive year, the convention was virtual for all delegates and members. The event was held November 18-20, 2021 and hosted by Christ Church Cathedral in St. Louis, where we based the broadcast.
All convention materials are still listed on this page. We are working to put together videos and stories that show you the highlights and explain the details and outcomes of our annual convention. Please check back often for updates.
Click the headlines below for expanded details.
Convention News & Highlights
Convention Order of Business
Download the Order of Business for the 182 Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri:
Convention Worship Bulletin
Bishop Deon Johnson will lead the Celebration of the Holy Eucharist on Thursday, Nov. 18 at 7 p.m.
Engage in the livestream from Christ Church Cathedral on these platforms:
- Diocesan website (scroll to middle of home page for video):
- Diocesan Facebook page:
The annual diocesan operating budget is developed by Diocesan Council, with direction from:
- Desiree Brattin, Canon for Finance and Administration
- Al Ludwig, Interim Diocesan Treasurer
- Liz Yount, Assistant to the Diocesan Treasurer
- the Finance Committee
Diocesan Council's proposed 2022 budget will be presented to Diocesan Convention for adoption. All are invited to a virtual open hearing to learn more and ask questions about the budget:
- Convention Open Hearing
Saturday, Nov. 6
Join the Zoom meeting (no registration required)
Members of the 182nd Convention of The Episcopal Diocese of Missouri will be voting on three different types of resolutions. Click on the blue links to download the individual resolutions:
1. Amendments to the Constitution must be voted on in two consecutive diocesan conventions. Amendments to the Canons are only required to be voted on in one convention.
- Resolution D-182:
A resolution of the Committee on Constitution and Canons to effect certain amendments to the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Missouri
Submitted by the Constitution and Canons Committee
- Resolution E-182:
A Resolution Regarding Deaconess Anne House Representation at Diocesan Convention
Submitted by 2020-2021 DAH 8.0 Corps Members, The Rev. Michaelene Miller, The Rev. Jon Stratton, and The Rev. Camie Dewey
2. Regular Resolutions typically only apply to the year immediately following Diocesan Convention. We have three regular resolutions to consider this year:
- Resolution A-182:
Submitted by Diocesan Council
- Resolution B-182:
Commemoration of the Right Rev. Barbara Harris
Submitted by the Standing Committee
- Resolution C-182:
Resolution to Repair Racial Injustice
Submitted by the Standing Committee
- Proposed Amendment to C-182
3. Courtesy Resolutions are ceremonial resolutions showing appreciation for individuals and organizations, or for commemorating things such as the anniversaries of the founding of parishes.
- Courtesy resolutions will be presented during convention and will be posted on the website after convention.
Propose a Resolution Amendment
If you would like to propose an amendment to any of our resolutions being considered at the 2021 convention, you must complete THIS FORM.
We encourage amendments to be submitted before convention begins, so we can have the appropriate paperwork prepared. But amendments can also be submitted during convention -- a deadline will be announced by the presiding officer.
In January of 2021, Bishop Deon Johnson tasked a group of Episcopalians from throughout The Diocese of Missouri to reimagine the mission and vision of our diocese and come up with a five-year plan to live out that new mission.
After months of work, the Strategic Visioning Committee presented their plan to Diocesan Council in September. Diocesan Council approved the plan in October.
Nominations for Elected Offices
We will be electing lay and clergy members to Standing Committee, Diocesan Council, Disciplinary Board, and Cathedral Chapter at this year's convention.
Download the 2021 Nominations Booklet to read descriptions of all the ministries, along with information about and pictures of all nominees
Nominations from the Floor
Nominations from the floor must be presented during the first plenary session of convention on Thursday, Nov. 18 at 6 p.m. Once the nomination has been made, you must complete the following steps.
For the nomination to be considered, ALL of the following steps must be completed before the 10 p.m. deadline:
- Complete and submit THIS FORM.
- If you are nominating someone other than yourself, we need written consent of the nominee (send to [email protected])
- FIVE voting members must submit a written petition (send to [email protected])
We encourage you to submit these nominations as soon as possible so we can properly prepare our electronic ballots.
All ministries that are financially supported by the Diocese and those who serve the Diocese are invited to submit an annual report to Convention.
Click the links below to download the individual ministry reports:
- Archivist and Registrar - Sue Rehkopf
- Canon for Evangelism & Discipleship Development - The Rev. Canon Whitney Rice
- Canon to the Ordinary - The Rev. Canon Doris Westfall
- Church Architecture and Allied Arts - Clark Davis
- Commission on Ministry - The Rev. Lu-Anne Conner
- Community of Deacons - The Rev. Deacon Harry Leip
- Companion Diocese - The Rev. Deacon Deb Goldfeder
- Creation Care Ministry - The Rev. Kevin McGrane
- Deaconess Anne House - The Rev. Michaelene Miller
- Diocesan Council - Holly Maffitt
- Diocesan Investment Trust - Bruce Ward
- Dismantling Racism Commission - The Rev. Deacon Chester Hines
- Disaster Preparedness Coordinators - Janet Thompson and The Rev. Maria Evans
- Episcopal Church Women Board - Deborah Caby
- Episcopal City Mission - Beth Goad
- Episcopal Recovery Ministries - The Rev. Sally Weaver
- Episcopal School for Ministry - The Rev. Marshall Crossnoe & The Rev. Deacon Deb Goldfeder
- General Convention Deputation - Betty Bowersox & The Rev. Tamsen Whistler
- Jubilee Ministries - The Rev. Deacon Barbi Click
- New Ventures in Community Ministry Grants - Scott Ferguson
- Pandemic Task Force - The Rev. Dr. Maria Evans & The Rev. Dr. Marc Smith
- Province V Executive Board - Betty Bowersox
- Requiem or Renaissance Project Charter - The Rev. Canon Whitney Rice
- Rockwell House Episcopal Campus Ministry - The Rev. Hopie Welles Jernagan
- St. Andrew's Resources for Seniors System - Gail Weller
- St. Luke's Episcopal-Presbyterian Hospitals - Sharon Mertzlufft
- Reflections on Perseverance and Peace: Spring Devotional 2021
- Reflections As We Journey Through COVID-19
- Standing Committee - Mike Fowlkes
- Strategic Vision - Katie Ong
- Task Force on Hunger - Jane Mayfield
- Treasurer's Report - Al Ludwig
- United Thank Offering - Jeanne Lucas King
- University of the South (Sewanee) - Bess Turner
- Violence Prevention - The Rev. Dr. Marc Smith
Convention Rules of Order
We encourage all convention participants to read our Rules of Order document to become familiar with the conduct expected during our business meetings.